It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 06:08

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: trq-str new ride
PostPosted: 22 Mar 2016, 08:28 
1800 CORDIA
1800 CORDIA

looking awesome Koray , its going to be a monster

AC Wanted $$$(must have 4g62t, or I can swap it back)

last cordia:
Blue 88 GSR turbo AC with 62t, TD05 14B and FMIC
(I WOULD LIKE IT BACK IF POSSIBLE, OLD REG SYH354)

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2017, 23:43 
1800 CORDIA
1800 CORDIA

Your car: UFO
It has been far too long, no more stuffing around, time to get her done.

Big thanks to Andrew for hooking me up with some hard to find parts. As a result, the shifter assembly has been rebuilt with new insulator and pivot bush. While I was at it, below the pivot was extended 15mm to shorten the throw. The difference is amazing!

Dump and front pipe complete

Arp extended wheel studs installed

Before and after

Steering rack rebuilt with genuine NOK seals

Change of plans with the heat exchange for the a2w setup. The new setup will be this aluminium MK2 golf radiator with custom end tanks. More on this later.

Custom made tray to mount the Yellow Top Optima (D51R Prius version) below the coolant over flow bottle.
First attempt was ok but the corner radius edges on revision two are so much nicer.

Rebuilt the throttle body and made a new throttle adapter

Sard 800cc Injectors

Rear muffler tips have been extended to sit flush with the bumper. Also went for a brushed look over polished

Last edited by TRQ-STR on 24 Apr 2018, 10:10, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2017, 17:11 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

Your car: DOHC 2.3 VR4 85 AB GSR
Immaculate Stock 86 AC GSR
Looks great Koray,
You need bigger brakes.........maybe the AWD Magna/Outlander conversion is for you?

Still don't understand the geometry of the shifter, the fulcrum point remains the same but the throw is shorter?

Will this put extra strain on the front shaft joint?

Anyway.........Love your work. :)

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2017, 18:40 
1800 CORDIA
1800 CORDIA

Bitza wrote:
You need bigger brakes.........maybe the AWD Magna/Outlander conversion is for you?

Already on the way:)

Bitza wrote:
Still don't understand the geometry of the shifter, the fulcrum point remains the same but the throw is shorter?

Increasing the shaft length below the fulcrum joint is comparable to raising the fulcrum higher on the stock shaft. In both cases, the lever arm below the pivot is increased relative to the section above (the ratio is altered in the same way). This reduces the amount of travel required above the fulcrum as there is now more potential displacement below the fulcrum.

The advantage to this method is that there is no added bulk to the mounting inside the cabin. Since I have no centre console I wanted to avoid having a bulge in the carpet.

The only disadvantage is the shaft is now 15mm longer and therefore hangs lower, you need to ensure is does not come in contact with the exhaust.
I hope this made sense.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2017, 19:01 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

All good, can't wait to see it finished.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2017, 19:29 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

Your car: 1984 AB cordia turbo
nice injectors soon i'll have them running in my car to ;)

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2017, 20:04 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

That dump pipe is a work of art. Very interested to hear more about that radiator and see where exactly you'll be putting the battery.

Glad you got your motivation back. Look forward to more updates.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2017, 00:35 
1800 CORDIA
1800 CORDIA

Thanks guys, much more to come.

New brake setup: DBA Evo 4 T3 rotors front and DBA Magna Tp sedan rear. Fronts to be re drilled to 4 stud.

New coils with custom made mount using 304 SS rods and 6060 Aluminium spacers.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2017, 16:42 
1800 CORDIA
1800 CORDIA

Love your work, well done.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2017, 00:31 
1800 CORDIA
1800 CORDIA

Big thanks to Andrew and Pete who have been very helpful with tech talk via PM and a parts. Seriously guys, your help keeps the build going and I really appreciate it!

Finally found somewhere to fit these big ass coils, here they are mocked up on a spare manifold.

Been busy wiring up the ecu, more pics soon.

I've decided to upgrade the A2W heat exchanger from the MK2 golf radiator to this VN commodore unit to increase the thermal capacity of the system. With my car in its current configuration this is the largest core I am able to fit.

Cutting through the fin stack to correct the height.

I thought this would be enough, but no........

I had to take it back this far.... which made for some of the trickiest welding I have done to date. The core had to be insulated for protection from the arc.

End tanks mocked up,

Here is a comparison between the two cores,

Removed the fuel tank to find the most putrid smell I have ever experienced, the old fuel had vanished and ruined the tank. Thinners, brake cleaner and industrial degreaser get laughed at by this stuff.

Pete to the rescue with this replacement tank which I cleaned inside and out then gave a lick of paint. I also made a mount for the bosch 044 pump.

Much more to come.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2018, 14:42 
1800 CORDIA
1800 CORDIA

Big update,

My old man had this fuel sender in storage for 20+ years, I cleaned her up and fitted a genuine filter I sourced on Amayama.

Fuel setup complete using -10 suction and -6 feed lines. I have plans for a much more serious fuel setup but this will do for now, I just want to drive her at this time.

Coil packs complete, this mount is to position them under the intake manifold and out of the way. Manifold support bracket has been removed.

Brakes and clutch are finally complete!

Custom hand brake lines, to correct the length.

Brake master resealed and installed.

Braided lines throughout, all custom made.

Calipers sandblasted and rebuilt,

After searching a dozen or so 2005-2006 outlanders for these magical unicorn brake brackets, I finally settled on the febest variant on ebay. Upon Initial inspection they looked well cast (and they are) however, when you dig deeper the cost cutting starts to show (the casting sand had not been cleaned out of the slide pin bores). Sand blasting, sanding with a homemade flap wheel and brake cleaning is what it tool to get the bore clean, not the way to sell brand new products IMO. Anyhow, here they are fitted.

Onto the intercooler, I was never really happy with it so I cut off the endtanks and made my own.

Milling right down to the core,

Here are the frozen boost air side tanks, 3.5” flanges cut off, milled flat then finished with a brushed look, ready for welding.

Here we have some 6061 which I turned into the new 2.75” end tanks, a much more appropriate size for this build.

Here is the evo3 radiator I purchased, the welds weren’t great and the dimensions are all wrong. Luckily the core was the right size, here we go again cutting things up, haha.

Here are the 1.6mm wall end tanks I made, fit up is spot on

Welded the filler neck from the inside for a cleaner look, had to apply a heat sink to manage the heat as the filler neck is much thicker than the sheet.

Here we have the Idle control, the water side of things is rubbish and has to go. These are assembled with Pa66 parts on the inside which are supposed to be adjustable. Being 20+ years old the plastic is mostly seized on the internal thread and brittle. Here is my solution.

Machined out the treads and all the broken plastic which was fused to it.

3 of these 6 slugs are to block off the remaining holes, more on this later.

Here are some shots I took while making adjustments to the suspension. What I’ve done here is install the front coilovers without the springs then fit the wheels to the car. Using a jack, I carefully lift each wheel to consume all suspension travel (~4” at front) and make adjustments to the lower clevis as needed. The purpose of this is to set the position of the wheel relative to the body (in the bottomed out position) and prevent the tyres from making contact with the body. Ride height is altered via adjustments to the lower spring perch, as a result of this, the lower the car goes the less suspension travel it will have.

I got myself a small 12x36 Taiwanese lathe for home, It’s such a baby compared to the 1971 20x40 Takisawa I’ve got locked away waiting for me to open up a shop. Initially planned to get her going with an RPC, yea……not my brightest moment.

Anyway, here she is turning 304 SS at 400mm between centres down to 1.25mm wall. 0.05mm over 400mm is accurate enough for home in my books.

Also got myself a bead roller capable of rolling 1.6mm SS, no more welding beads!

Some work in progress shots.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2018, 17:51 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

Looks great Koray.........are you willing to make a radiator for me?

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2018, 00:59 
1800 CORDIA
1800 CORDIA

I could do that, it wouldn't be until after my car is up and running though. Is your copper recore holding up for the time being?

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2018, 12:56 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

My radiator is still looking like new, would like an alloy one mainly for thermal efficiency.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2018, 14:11 
1800 CORDIA
1800 CORDIA

Turbo was removed to reposition the coolant feed and return lines to the lower galleries, this keeps them clear of heat from the manifold and rear housing while remaining short and out of the way. The speedflow fittings have just enough room, I’m happy with how the lines turned out.

While the turbo was out, it made sense to start on the new water pipe while I had access to the area (the stock pipe had clearance issues with the larger compressor housing). This became more difficult when I found 35mm SS tube was not really available in Aus, the quickest option was to make my own, this can be seen on the lathe in my last post. Anyhow this is what I’ve come up with…..the new water pipe clears the compressor housing, is made of SS and allows for a 6an return line, dimensions are 34.5x1.2mm.

Fuel rail modified with a weld in 6an bung, this removes the restriction in the factory Galant line.

A few shots I took while welding the radiator,

Here are some bungs I made on the lathe, the large M10x1.25 is the radiator drain while the 3 M6x1.0 bungs will be used as grounding points to eliminate stray current corrosion on the aluminium heat exchangers.

The power circuit is all 2awg and wired as follows:
Positive -
Battery > Alternator > Starter > Factory ignition loom (all piggybacked)
Ground -
Battery > Chassis, Battery > Block, Block > Chassis.
Here’s a shot of the electrically busy side of the bay, the ecu loom is broken down into individual circuits and looks basass!

Custom made MSD ignition leads

With the injection, ignition and fuel sorted, I set the trigger angle and got the engine started. Just had to play around with the ecu as the electrical side of things is no longer compatible with the vr4 basemap or pinout config. It was so nice to finally hear the exhaust after all the hard work, as a bonus it sounds so damn sweet!

Thus far everything is mechanically sound and the engine is ready for the dyno, much more to come.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2018, 17:00 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

Nice Koray, the VR4 engine looks so much cleaner with the cordia thermostat neck!

Can't wait to set the air to water intercooler completed.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2018, 21:09 
1800 CORDIA
1800 CORDIA

Well done Korey.

It looks great,I cannot wait to see more.

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2018, 00:44 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

Really nice work! Love how you made up the new water pipe. Looks beautiful.

What was the part number for the in tank fuel filter you got from Amayama?

Also, what coilovers are you using?

PostPosted: 02 May 2018, 11:43 
1800 CORDIA
1800 CORDIA

Thanks gents,

4cylturb wrote:
What was the part number for the in tank fuel filter you got from Amayama?
Also, what coilovers are you using?

12mm GSR in tank fuel filter = MB129890

Coil overs are Bc "type BR" with 7Kg springs to suite evo 123. On the softest setting they're extremely streetable and handle speed humps, rumble strips etc like an unmodified modern sports car. The stiffest setting is as stiff as you would want on a street car, it certainly effects drive ability as you need to pay more attention to the speed at which you travel over objects.

The word required to install them and the set the limits of travel was documented earlier in this thread, unfortunately the photos are all gone for the time being. When I get some time Ill re upload the photos for you.

PostPosted: 02 May 2018, 12:24 
1800 CORDIA
1800 CORDIA

Update,

I had a chance to break in the engine on the dyno mid last month, we managed 195kw@5200rpm running 15psi and 8 degrees timing. Minus a very laggy turbo (15psi @ 4500 rpm in 4th gear) all was going well until we noticed the engine wouldn't take any more timing, we found this unusual for a ~9:1 comp engine and stopped while we were ahead. Upon inspection the ignition system suffered from ~7 degrees timing drift, thanks to Andrew and other experts in the field the issue has since been resolved.

The build had other teething issues also, a drivetrain vibration and wastgate geometry to name a few. I'm currently working on the vibration but the wastegate issue (binding rod) seems to have been solved.

The A2W setup remains closed loop and has not seen over 35 degrees (rarely over 30), seems to be working well.

Last edited by TRQ-STR on 07 May 2018, 00:06, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next