It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:55

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 16 May 2005, 19:04 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

I found out how to get to the speakers int he stock positions in the dash of the cordia today its not worth the trouble. on the drivers side there isnt much room for bigger speakers.

heres a stock speaker (5wrms 7W P.M.P.O) compared a garden variety small performance speaker (250watt extended motor assembly one)

if anyone wants more info on this scroll down to my next post. unless u want to replace them with similar size they wont really fit without alot of stuffing around. may as well go with a custom installation

1984 AB GSR all in bits.
1982 JA Starion
1973 Yamaha RD 250 project cafe racer

Last edited by ssb2005 on 17 May 2005, 19:03, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 May 2005, 20:24 

hehe, thats what i figured, any car dash speakers, one common rule

Quote:
DONT BOTHER
:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 May 2005, 18:57 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

now by popular demand the how do i get to the bastards bit.

you will need
a cordia (preferbaly your own)
screwdrivers
long nose pliers or tuff fingers
small sockets
patience
the speakers u want to put in with wires n stuff to put em in with
something to drink

first up if your speakers are less than 50mm deep they will fit. thay also have to be 4" not 4.5 and be fairly flat, i.e not like my 3 way ones in the pic or they will hit the grille thingy.. it will also take at a fair while to install the bastards as of the dash has to come apart

Drivers side speaker.

remove the dash surrond by taking out all the screws holding it on. it is also held on by a clip near the heater controls this comes off if you pull on it a bit. it doesnt damage it in anyway.
next pull out the intrument cluster. undo ALL the screws holding it on, pull it out a little bit and on the left hand side about 15 cm from the edge is the spedo cable this comes out by presing the little white clip on top of it and pullin the cluster gently. you wont be able to pull the cluster out far enuuff to see it but if you feel around u will feel the spedo cable press the button thing on top of it and it will unclip. there are 4 electrical connection holding it in now one big one ont he bottom left side, a single wire one on the top left and 1 big one bottom right and one maller one top right. you hould figure out how to pull thee out by looking at them as you can pull the cluster out a little bit.

now with the instruent cluster out you can see into where the factory speaker lives. to remove this panel undo the bolts holding the speaker on. there is one you can see stright away and you can get it finger tight with a set of needle nose pliers then undo it with your fingers dont drop it... there is another on the opposite side on mine it was finger tight if it not in yours you will have to figure out how to undo it another way, you should be able to get a smallish socket int there. alternatley superglue your fingers to it turn it then twist your fingers to rip them off of the screw this will get the screw and the skin on your fingers loose. dont drop the bolt.......

with those 2 bolts undone lift the grill thingy up and the speaker will drop down. it will (the grill/dash bit) be attatched ont he right hand side of the dash by a screw which cannot be undone without the dash being taken out of the car inless uou have psychig powers or weird tools.. you can however carefully move the grille assembly out of the way without damaging it too much. now install your new speaker however you wish. i would just use the bolts that held the factory one in if they match up with the holes in your speakers

drinks break
passenger side speakers.
pull the glovebox off by undoing the 2 phillips head crews that hold the 2 hinges on to the dash. look up under the dah you can see the 2 speakers. it i simply a matter of pulling shit off untill you can get to them easily. the bolts holding the speakers on hold the dash thingy on.

it would be easiest to install the passenger side ones from under the dash instead of pulling it off.

have fun
let me know how you go.

Pictures:

1984 AB GSR all in bits.
1982 JA Starion
1973 Yamaha RD 250 project cafe racer

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 May 2005, 20:15 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

FAQ this...

1984 AA GSR - Sold, burnt out.