It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 09:52

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2013, 17:04 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

Your car: 1985 AB GSL-R
1988 Starion GSR-VR
G'day gents, just got myself a stock standard 1 owner AB GSR. Before I give it a proper introduction there's a few issues I'm hoping to address & rectify as soon as I possibly can. Any of your help & insight would be greatly appreciated as this engine is relatively new to me as are it's problems.

Here are the few...

1. Turbo gone?
- Low on power, will not boost past the first two bars (stops directly on the small dot opposite the first small full bar)
- Blows a puff of smoke after starting her up & when taking off from a complete stop

2. TPS need adjusting?
- High idle between 1700-2000 RPM once accelerator has been used after start-up
- Idle will drop just above 1000 RPM when accelerator is slightly tapped
- Only to rise again after driving it & coming to a stop

3. Engine mount(s)?
- Engine is a tad on the shakey side

*Note* I have not yet checked for error codes.

Lastly this connector shown below (passenger side) was disconnected, after I got the car home I reconnected it & sent the idle mad, making it rev well beyond 3000 RPM, I shut it off before it got any higher.

And just for reference only recently the car has had the timing belt, water pump, clutch, leads & coil replaced new. Not related but just so it's aware.

The owner was also told the car had done a valve apparently from his friend mechanic, I didn't receive much more info than that. Not entirely sure what the symptoms are?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2013, 19:27 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

Your car: DOHC 2.3 VR4 85 AB GSR
Immaculate Stock 86 AC GSR
OK.......1. .low on power..........could be various leaks, check crossover pipe and inlet manifold, if all OK check wastegate setting, could have been wound out, if OK check turbo shaft for freeplay

2. Yes, reset TPS (if it's connected).......if this still occurs check coolant sensor, maybe faulty

3. Engine will be shaky if the base idle is not correctly set

4. Lastly, the connector is for the TPS and mixture screw.

Best thing for you to do is make an error code checker and go from there.

If the engine has done a valve it won't run properly.......does it backfire through the inlet or exhaust manifold when revved?

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2013, 20:44 
Superuser
Superuser

Your car: 1985 Mistubishi Cordia AB GSR
1986 Mistubishi Cordia AC GSR
1997 Mazda Rx7
1980 Mazda B1800
1984 Mazda B2000
i'm glad you got this! i was bidding on it too lol i was going to use it's good interior bits on my car then part it out,

but i was feeling very uneasy about possibly sending it to it's grave! Good luck with it :)

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2013, 03:05 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

1988 Starion GSR-VR
Thanks for chiming in Andrew, grateful as always.

After I brought the car home I was basically off to work straight after so I didn't get a good chance yesterday to check everything out. I'll start by checking for any leaks first off then. If all is good & say IF the wastegate adjustment has been wound out how much more do I need to wind it in to obtain factory setting?

Regarding the TPS, do I want to follow the full step by step adjustment procedure http://www.cordiapower.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2187? Or is there a short & sweet way to reset it?

I think I may have a Haynes manual somewhere actually, so I'll check that out tomorrow to see if it covers the above.

When revved there's no apparent backfire through either, so I guess I could rule that out...

I'll see how I go tomorrow morning with it & report back with what I find!

Last edited by 0-PSI on 07 Nov 2013, 03:15, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2013, 03:10 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

1988 Starion GSR-VR
slythr I don't blame you, the interior is pretty good after a decent clean up apart from the tear on the drivers seat everything is pretty well intact. I had a feeling someone else from here might have been bidding as well, was stoked to have won haha.

Thanks mate aside from the few running issues she's a good base & one less Cordia sent to it's wrecked demise!

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2013, 08:20 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

The wastegate runs a 10mm nut, undo it and wind the support up to the top of the thread, back it off four turns.

For the TPOS follow the procedure, there is an easier way, unlock the TPOS and turn clockwise to reduce anti clockwise to raise idle.........I have always adjusted so when the throttle is "tapped" the idle raises from 900rpm to just over 1000rpm then drops back........if it's still not correct the error checker will tell you.

Cordia's TPOS is difficult to set, may take you a few goes to get it right, I have also replaced the phillips screws for 8mm hex head, that way when you tighten it up the TPOS won't move.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2013, 09:27 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

1988 Starion GSR-VR
Cheers Andrew, have still yet to check for any vac leaks but for the peace of mind I'll adjust it anyway.
Have just removed the air intake pipe only to find it is completely split in half & held together by old elec tape, more than likely part of the problem as well.

May get some piping made up today through my exhaust guy & replace it altogether, unless there's a better way to completely join it back together free from any leaks? Usually I'd just find a used replacement but I don't like my chances of finding locally.

The air filter looks like it's never been changed either, a lot of gunk build up in the airbox too which will be cleaned. Checked the turbo & there doesn't seem to be any shaft play whatsoever...

So with the TPS correct me if I've gone off track here, but I'll reconnect the plug & adjust accordingly & if the idle is still not right I'll go ahead with the full procedure?
I'll pick some hex heads up on my travels today, great idea.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2013, 11:44 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

A split crossover pipe will ensure boost is low, I have a spare in the shed if you want it..........if the throttle is "all over the place" once you have replaced the pipe use the procedure to reset.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2013, 19:22 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

1988 Starion GSR-VR
Sorry I was meaning the rubber pipe that runs from the turbo to the airflow meter canister, looks as if the last person who took it off had a hard time & split it right in half & held it back together with some tape. So I dropped it off today to have a replacement made up + some silicone joiners to suite, hopefully see it by tomorrow.

Once that's back on I'll get onto the TPS. Also adjusted the wastegate today.

Another thing I came across was after removing the heat shield all 3 of these bolts were not done up, the top right was just sitting there how it is as you see it. Top left is missing the bolt head, just the thread & nut from whoever tampered with this last.

So far then, hopefully that is 2 potential leaks solved.

I know for a fact that the rocker cover gasket is in need to be replaced, but not sure yet whether that is the cause of this oil spillage, also leaking down onto this line.. if I get the opp tomorrow I'll get a closer look

Last edited by 0-PSI on 07 Nov 2013, 21:19, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2013, 19:38 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

The left hand turbo manifold bolt is stock factory........they came out as a thread and nut......not a bolt.

Manifold has been repaired aswell.

That's alot of oil.........I would suggest replacing the rocker gasket along with the half moon in the rear of the head.....the rubber tends to "harden" over time causing large leaks.

The pipe covered in oil is the turbo's coolant line.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2013, 20:16 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

1988 Starion GSR-VR
Ah rightio, that clears that up then, good to know.

Only just realised the repair to the manifold as well that you pointed out, I didn't sleep at all last night too busy thinking about getting this car up to scratch.. not with it today at all today :lol:

Absolute load of oil. I'll grab a new gasket tomorrow as well as the half moon seal then too, is there a part number for it by any chance that you know Andrew?

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2013, 20:39 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

They are fairly generic........same as VR4, 63, Aston, Cyclone, Saturn etc.

Most auto shops should be able to supply, just make sure you use some Ultra copper (or equivalent) to seal the half moon (as most are ribbed inside) and the rocker gasket........don't use too much......a light "skim" with your finger is plenty for the rocker cover.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2013, 21:14 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

1988 Starion GSR-VR
Alright great thanks, the folks down here are fairly clueless at the auto stores we have in town so just had to confirm. I've also got some new Permatex form-a-gasket which I just used on the replacement GSL rocker cover gasket so that has come in handy.

Will update back tomorrow.

Cheers again for the knowledge shared mate!

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2013, 20:00 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

1988 Starion GSR-VR
Rocker cover gasket & half moon seal fitted today.

My crossover over pipe has had the bracket from it to the turbo broken off as well.. think I might buy your spare one Andrew!

Also, is there meant to be a seal or something of the sort where the crossover pipe sits inside the turbo outlet? Found nothing but a bunch of silicone from when someone has removed it before & tried to reseal, quite a loose fit as well.. normal or?

Cheers

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2013, 20:05 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

Spare one is sitting here..........there should be a rubber seal where the tube fits inside the turbo compressor housing.....is it there or was it just siliconed in?

This is not normal........some resistance should be felt on installation.

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2013, 20:25 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

1988 Starion GSR-VR
My mistake, just went out & removed it again to make sure & the rubber seal is there on the pipe, must of looked past it originally, D'oh. Only felt slight resistance when refitting for the first time making me kinda paranoid about how it's sealed, just expected a tighter fit, but now I know.

PM on it's way Andrew.

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2013, 20:31 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

It's taking a while *whistle*