It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 05:07

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2016, 21:24 

Your car: 87 Cordia GSR Turbo
Any body know if it bolts up to the stock cordia gearbox they are both narrow block but bottom r/h bell housing bolt looks like its diffrent.

So here is what happened im a mechanic an a few weeks back a mint well looked after stock standard 87 cordia gsr with 130k come into work on the tow truck after the ladys grand son had been driving it. I checked it out sounded like a snapped cambelt it wasnt one cylinder had no comp the other 3 were down told them would have to pull the head off to inspect and was going to be 2k to fix.

It sat out the back for 2 months and i ended up with a Link g4+ storm ecu after a evo X it was ment to go in got sold i use to be a dyno tuner i still have access to the dyno its at hampton downs race track now days so i still do some performance stuff mainly i do diagnostics/ electronics type stuff now days so i was like hmm wonder what that old cordia will go like with a retro injection set up and a link and i could use a new run about/work hack.

Ring the lady up "If you dont want to fix your car how much do you want for it" She said $1000 i said 800 ended up giving her 950 for it. That night pulled apart the head gave it a valve job ported and polished the intake ports checked every thing over in a rush put a $20 head gasket on timed up the cambelt 1,2&4 had 125psi comp but 3 had 75psi the bore looked fine so i thought might be sticky rings bolted it together when you thrash it somehow it goes not bad must have broken rings it has blow by issues and knocks on cyl3.

Jumped on the net to buy 4g63 pistons and a multi point injection intake ended up buying a complete 4g64 for $100 its got all sensors wiring loom, alt, ps pump, engine mounts, clutch pressure plate flywheel. I bought some turbo stainless extractors $80 and i have alot of parts lying around the work shop injectors, fuel, pumps, external waste gates, BOV's etc.

If the 64 bolts in might see how it takes boost with some nice injection and ignition plan is to use the optical sensor from the dizy as a cam sensor (still thinking how a can run a sensor straight off the cam) and fit a 34 tooth tone wheel behind the crank pulley for a crank sensor and use GDI coils these coils use 3.2ms dwell that's double the charge time of a normal coil iv never tried so its only a theory but if u put in 2x energy you get nice big powerfull spark and iv got a water to air intercooler For a really nice tuning foundation im just looking in to a CAN wideband from link an im good to go.

Im not aiming for huge horse power more responsive, economical, fun to drive will see how the tc06 goes if i find a free td05 or t3/t4 probly suit it better. I know i wont be able to resist rebuilding the old engine with some cheap 4g63 pistons maby a cam an valve springs an a big turbo well see how things unfold so far its cost me like $1500 for the car and all the parts but that dosnt include the $2500 ecu lol im actually making an adaptor so it plugs stright into the factory ecu plugs so i can wack the stock ecu and dizy back in with the old engine one day.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2016, 22:14 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

Your car: DOHC 2.3 VR4 85 AB GSR
Immaculate Stock 86 AC GSR
Well.............the 4g62 won't except the 63 piston, you need a 63 block.

Cordia standard piston 82mm...........63 standard piston 85mm..............no way you can fit the block.

If the 64 is a norrow block it will fit straight in............I'm looking for one also.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2016, 00:31 

was thinking about rebuilding the bottom end of the original engine and just getting it bored out to 85mm due to the fact 63 pistons are cheap and i dont even know if you can get oversized 62 pistons anymore i couldn't even find a headgasket with 82mm bore size had to use a 63 headgasket because thats what all the gasket suppliers list nowadays here's how it looks.

Might be cheaper to get a spare 63 and use the crank to destroke the 64 one day insteed of using a 1.5mm MLS head gasket and studs for more boost take out 2mm of stroke.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2016, 00:34 

Here is the difference between blocks.

4g62 b

4g64 s4

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2016, 13:51 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

Your car: DOHC 2.3 VR4 85 AB GSR
Immaculate Stock 86 AC GSR
A 62 can't be bored out to 85mm, largest diameter is 83mm........if you go over this you will cut into a water jacket, best to get a 64, 63 6 bolt.

Now I know your taking about a 7 bolt (should have read the title properly) not a 6 bolt, that engine won't bolt up to a cordia gearbox.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2016, 21:20 

Bugger might rebuild the stock engine what are the options for running a 7 bolt use a magna gearbox? Make an adaptor plate? ill ask around my mates and see if anyone has a 6 bolt 63 might no where a 63dohc turbo from a rvr is for free snapped cambelt bent valves. I thought the magna motor would have looked cool almost stock looking with the sohc head lol. There are so many options for these engines I had a bit of a play round today and got the link working through the factory harness. And what can a 7 bolt go in any idears im actually pretty keen to de stroke it and see how it goes im sort of lucky at my work we have the impound and crash recovery so we scrap 3-4 cars a week there is normally something sitting round to go raid parts off or the odd car thats worth putting a engine in.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2016, 22:39 

Any idea why this 7 bolt wont fit the cordia gear box is it just bell housing bolts wont fit or is there more to it?

Picked up this mpi intake for the original 8valve motor in the weekend to i went to the wreckers to find some injectors and found this i dont know what its off but looks like it should fit was only $30.