It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 05:08

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fuel pump/engine woes.
PostPosted: 10 Nov 2014, 17:40 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

Cars been running a bit sluggish lately after i put in an engine flush (won't ever be doing that again). Car had a nervous breakdown on the way to work one morning after the flush, so i drain brand new oil out and after about 40km's of use was as black as shit. Good news is the oil that's in there now has absolutely no sign of any contamination by old oil. It's as clear as when i put it in there after about 250km's of driving.

The shit thing is the car feels down on power and a little sluggish and hesitant on the highway since the flush. I noticed slight moisture around the bottom of the head on cylinder 4 so i started thinking headgasket. Compression test showed 160 across all 4 cylinders so that's not it.

So driving to my bros house the other night the car stalls just as i get off the highway. I manage to park it up on the grass off the road. Tried restarting, kicked over but no go. There was a bit of a fuel smell which i attributed to the fuel in the cylinders not sparking as i was thinking electrical problem. But as the car is being hoisted on to the back of the towtruck i notice a fuel line has blown off the fuel pump fitting. So everytime i tried starting it i was pissing out fuel all over the grass. Now for some reason i couldn't stretch the hose back far enough to join onto the fitting. Was a bit weird.

So i cut the hose and clamped in a bit of brass pipe to extend it just so i could get the car home. Bit of bush mechanics but it worked.

I've dropped the fuel tank now and taken off the pump and lo and behold it's not the pump the previous owner told me it was when i bought the car. It's still a good pump but not what i though i had and not what i told the tuner when he was pushing 22psi.

This is the pump that was on there

http://www.fiveomotorsport.com/bosch-in-line-pump-0580254982

This is the pump he told me was on there

http://www.fiveomotorsport.com/bosch-inline-pump-0580254044

I know they are both good pumps but they are not the same. I'm just wondering if running 20psi boost could wear out the 984 and cause the sluggishness i've been getting. Been on there now for 3 years and it's caused a bit of worry a few times just by the variation in sounds that come out of it. I've checked the engine, just put in a new optima yellowtop, have magnecor leads, fresh spark plugs, turbo is not leaking oil and shaftplay is within tolerance and i have no boost leaks. Apart from ecu karking it, since there are no sensor errors, i can't think of anything else apart from the fuel pump that may be the problem.

Either way old pump is gone. I've got an 044 and just got all the fittings i need to make it fit. Will see how it goes. Thanks for reading my story :) Any thoughts?

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2014, 19:54 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

Your car: DOHC 2.3 VR4 85 AB GSR
Immaculate Stock 86 AC GSR
I just had this problem with a GSR, no code errors, perfect compression etc.........turned out to be a faulty injector!!!

Nice story Simon.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2014, 23:16 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

Cheers Andrew. Will have a closer look at the injectors if the problem persists.

Gotta say the bloke at Enzed in Ingleburn, Adrian i think his name is, really helped me find an elegant solution for the pump fittings. Had to modify quite a few connections. They're a bit pricey but they do great work.