It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:43

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dreaded Smoke
PostPosted: 18 May 2012, 16:30 
Superuser
Superuser

Hey Guys,

Just putting the word out to see if anyone can help before I take her to the garage and pay lots :(

My VR4 Cordia is blowing a little smoke (grey/blue/black) its nothing on idle notice it when im pulling into drives or reversing. I cant really see it behind me when I drive day or night. And i've tried not to boost while its blowing just in case that makes it worse. Ive had a turbo go on me before but that was blowing on idle so not really sure what this is. I have been told maybe valve seals? Anyone know how expensive this would be to cost? Or an easy DIY way of finding whats the cause?

Thank you in advance and if you need any more info please dont hesitate to ask. Im a novice when it comes to engines (although i have ordered a VR4 owners manual so hoping to learn a lot soon) so please go easy on me.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Dreaded Smoke
PostPosted: 18 May 2012, 18:36 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

Your car: DOHC 2.3 VR4 85 AB GSR
Immaculate Stock 86 AC GSR
Usually smoke at idle is valve stem seals........smoking under load is rings.....long periods of idle where smoke appears is turbocharger as the centre stops spinning due to thermal expansion. :)

How much oil is in the front of the turbo/air canister?

PostPosted: 18 May 2012, 19:08 
Superuser
Superuser

Are piston rings as expensive as they sound? I'll check the turbo for oil tomorrow, but like I said the book hasn't arrived yet so that is easier said than done haha.

On the way how I was checking my pressure (not sure how accurate my gauges are) but when sold the oil pressure was around 35/40 then as the car headed up, it dropped to 27ish? And then a little smoke. It's not really bad but would like to fix it before it does any damage (is it ok to drive? I only work 10 mins away.

Thanks for your help bitza

PostPosted: 21 May 2012, 15:18 
Superuser
Superuser

Ok, so i havent been able to check the turbo yet but i did check the oil and coolant. The oil was recently replaced and still looks clean and nothing around the cap. The coolant is low so will replace that tomorrow. And i have noticed there seems to be a leak from the block? Doesnt look like alot but could this cause smoke out the exhaust?

PostPosted: 23 May 2012, 09:52 
Superuser
Superuser

Hey Mate. If you would take it to girraween, i'd go see meek automotive.www.meek.com.au Chris was always helpful for me with my vr4 cordia. Maybe ring first , he gets busy . Might be able to check compression and go over it for you. I used to drive down from Newcastle for help.

Nice car btw. It was for sale on here or ebay wasn't it? I was tempted but to much other stuff going on at the moment ( reno's and kid on the way ). My old vr4 motor is going in my colt (hopefully) when i get a few spare moments.

Cheers, Brad

PostPosted: 23 May 2012, 13:08 
Superuser
Superuser

Hey Brad, Cheers for the info. I may just do that. Ive heard the Meek name kicking around. Maybe just to see what's wrong. I hope its not the pistons cos i have a feeling that is going to empty my pockets (and there not that full as it is haha). Yeah the guy i bought if off put it up on here for a while, looked perfect, i wanted an old school turbo that wasnt to crazy looking. I actually swapped it for an old VR V8 commodore. If the pistons are gone it was a bad swap :(

Congrats on the kids btw

Thanks, attycuz

PostPosted: 24 May 2012, 11:55 
Superuser
Superuser

Ok so a little more news on the smoke. In the last few days it has seemed to get a lot worse. Now smokes more at idle. I bought Rislone Ring Seal Smoke Repair and put that in but made no differnce :( Then this morning i got stuck in a little traffic and the car started to overheat and poor out a lot of smoke and i seemed to leave a trail behind me. Getting more and more worried.

Im going to pull the spark plugs out and lunch and see the state of them. Will report back soon.

As for meeks not sure my car would make it there :(

PostPosted: 25 May 2012, 08:52 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

I know someone who has a forged bottom end for a VR4 lying around for around 1k...worst case scenario buy that and replace yours.

PostPosted: 25 May 2012, 09:20 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

Hey bud you swapped this car from a bloke on here called Oddsox? And you advertising it for sale now for 5k on gumtree? Saw an add for what looks like this car started yesterday.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bronte/c ... 1002620428

PostPosted: 25 May 2012, 09:30 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

Was just looking at your gumtree add...you have an oil catch can, you checked it hooked up properly? Catch can set up wrong could be the cause of your smoke (some have one way hoses so connect them wrong they wont flow causing you to pressurise the crank etc).

PostPosted: 25 May 2012, 13:11 
Superuser
Superuser

Yeah I swapped with Oddsox for my V8 Commodore. I just put it up on gumtree as if it is the heads or piston i would prefer to get rid before costing me mega $$$'s. I love the car and would prefer to keep it but at the same time cant afford to do massive repairs :(

As for the catch can i will do some research today and see what i can find out, there are a couple of suspect hoses on it, one looks like a hose pipe? Hopefully that could be it.

After using the Rislone Ring Seal Smoke Repair i didnt notice any change in my oil pressure so that could be a good thing. Still sits around 30 when idling? and about 60 at 2000rpm.

Oh and as for the overheating I now now what that switch in my cockpit does...turns of the radiator fan!!! Any ideas why someone would have this installed?

PostPosted: 25 May 2012, 13:44 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

Install a fan switch so you can run the fans more often, keep it cooler when you want instead of waiting for a faulty thermostat to cook your engine. I'll be putting mine on a switch when I hook them up.

Start by completing disconnecting the catch can and seeing how it runs. If it runs without smoke you know the catch can was the problem. While you have the catch can disconnected, take your oil cap off at idle and look for blowby. Your dipstick keep popping out a bit after driving by any chance?

If you end up selling it, probs best you advertise it has problems as Cordia community is pretty small in Sydney and don't want any unwanted attention for selling a dodge car.

PostPosted: 25 May 2012, 15:17 
Superuser
Superuser

Yeah im only putting the word out for sale just to see. If the car does have big issues i would mention it. However seems the guy who sold it me didnt have the same idea :(

When you say disconnect the catch can, do i need to connect anything in its place or simply unplug it? The dipstick stays in, never had a problem with that. And when removing the oil cap would i see smoke?

Thanks for this smokincordia.

PostPosted: 25 May 2012, 17:06 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

When cap is off and car idling decent blowby Will have little specs of oil spitting out...otherwise look/feel for pulsating air coming out.

Think its only breather valve on rocker cover that Will need a hose over it (someone correct me if imp wrong plz). Jump on Google am search how to set one up...look at yours and go from there. don't think there is anything major though that needs covering when you take it off.

PostPosted: 25 May 2012, 18:09 
Superuser
Superuser

Ok, so i have had a look at mine, and I think the catch can could be causing a little issue, it seems to be empty? And if im having smoke surely there should be something? Does it matter how it is connected? Of i swapped them around would it make a difference/cause and damage? I have attached a pic to see if anyone can help?

Attachments:
catch can.jpg
catch can.jpg [ 135.98 KiB | Viewed 17954 times ]

PostPosted: 25 May 2012, 18:23 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

Where do those braided lines go??? I was always of the impression that you need l the hose coming from the breather valve on the rocker cover into the catch can, one hose to the pcv valve (on inlet mani?) and a source of clean air so either little air filter on top or air filter mounted somewhere with hose to catch can. That way you keep your unwanted air circulating out of the engine and clean air feeding back in.

Can really see but yours looks wrong to me and yes it definitely makes a difference. unplug everything from the catch can and leave that black hose connected to the valve coming out of the side of the rocker but don't connect it to anything else. then start car and let it idle, see if it smokes.

PostPosted: 25 May 2012, 18:41 
Superuser
Superuser

I'm pretty bad with engines so i apologise now for any rubbish i come out with haha

The braided pipes are connected to the oil filter, not sure exactly where they are coming from/going too but they go to the passanger corner, at the bottom near the head lights (will show pic tomorrow when its light). I dont think anything is connected to the inlet mani, the clear hose is connected just after the air filter (so im guessing clean air) and the black going to the PCV.

It doesnt smoke until the oil gets warm, would i be able to drive the car or just idle? As more smoke come out when revving. But will give this a try in the morning.

PostPosted: 25 May 2012, 18:48 
Superuser
Superuser

So now im confused haha i though my breather valve was the PCV? Where is the PCV? Told you i was bad at engines haha

PostPosted: 25 May 2012, 18:50 
Superuser
Superuser

So now im confused haha i though my breather valve was the PCV? Where is the PCV? Told you i was bad at engines haha

PostPosted: 25 May 2012, 18:51 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

Your car: DOHC 2.3 VR4 85 AB GSR
Immaculate Stock 86 AC GSR
Right........your engine has an oil filter re-location kit.......the pipes run from the oil pump.

After looking at your pic, just make sure the green line back to the air inlet track is not blocked. Also check the PVC valve in the rocker cover is operational, if all this checks out OK then it's a head problem.

As stated before.......oil burning at idle after warming up is valve stem seals.