It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 02:18

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2011, 22:04 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Your car: Hot house green 84 Cordia turbo unknown internals front mount Evo 3 turbo hi flowed time slips for an 11 second 1/4
can you or can you not do away with the vacuum 5th gear and wire up a switch to the electric solenoid some one told me but i don't know how or if it is even possible

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2011, 18:32 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

How would you propose to have the mechanism operate the shift if you do away with the vacuum operation?

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2011, 18:55 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Your car: Hot house green 84 Cordia turbo unknown internals front mount Evo 3 turbo hi flowed time slips for an 11 second 1/4
Well thats why i asked

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2011, 19:07 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

Your car: DOHC 2.3 VR4 85 AB GSR
Immaculate Stock 86 AC GSR
Simple............It won't work..........end.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2011, 19:25 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Sorry. Your question is not clear.

I am presuming you have the standard turbo Cordia gearbox which has four forward gears and the usual reverse.
It also has a high/low ratio gear set that is normally in the low range for the first four forward gears and reverse, and when you shift the lever to fifth, it just moves the box out of fourth to neutral and then operates a switch which activates a soleniod that changes the vacuum flow to the vacuum operated device to change the high/low ratio to high and then as you continue to move the gear lever it moves the box back into fourth - but because the ratio has changed it gives you what appears to be fifth.

I did temporarily reconfigure mine to be able to manually switch the soleniod from inside the cabin using a rocker switch mounted next to the rear window washer/wiper rocker switch. It was good for a bit of something different but became cumbersome to try using for every shift to make like a truck with changing ratios for every change - eight gears forward. In actual fact fourth low range is virtually indentical to third high range so there is no benefit to that one.
Taking off in first in high range needed too much clutch slipping and revs if I needed to get away quickly. I only had it in that setup for a few months before puting it back to normal.

You can't do away with the vacuum setup unless you are somehow going to put in another shift lever in the cabin similar to the setup in the Colt and non-turbo Cordia which they called a Power Shift Lever, or unless you are going to somehow lock the high/low ratio in a position.

Last edited by 1owner on 17 Nov 2011, 20:05, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2011, 19:32 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

Your car: DOHC 2.3 VR4 85 AB GSR
Immaculate Stock 86 AC GSR
^^^^^^here here.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2011, 19:52 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

thank you for that the bloke i got the motor and box off said thats how he had it set up but bugger switching between high and low i wanna smash gears not fudge around with switches lol