It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:19

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MPI Conversion
PostPosted: 22 Apr 2011, 11:40 

Your car: 1988 Cordia turbo
hoping for somebody to correct me hear or agree but i was thinking (always a bad start),
when doing a multipoint conversion instead of going standalone straight away, couldnt you just use 4 injectors half the size of the original 2 cordia ones and then batch fire them by just wireing them in series? i no its not going to be the most accurate of things but is this possible?

Post subject: Re: MPI Conversion
PostPosted: 23 Apr 2011, 09:26 
1800 CORDIA
1800 CORDIA

hmm. not sure if this would work or not, due to the way the cordia system works..... you would probably want to look deeper into the way the standard system works. and even then if you can get it to work, i wouldn't be driving it hard!

if it can be done you would want to match the injector impedences, kinda like you mentioned above.
eg. if the cordia injectors are 8ohm, and the new injectors are 4 ohm, then yes, you would wire 2 of them in series for each injector output. if the new ones are 16ohm, then you would wire them in parallel.
you may be able to use the appropriate resistors to get the right impedence also.

the other thing you would need to match is the injector size i would think. cordia's are around 800cc, so you would need to run 400cc or else your not gonna get the correct mixture.

:)

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2011, 19:23 
Superuser
Superuser

best thing u could do with the old cordia fuel system is chuck it in the bin anyways,why bother to stuff around with it

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2011, 22:15 

Your car: 1988 Cordia turbo
Thanks oggy, the only reason i thoguht abut it is the fiat punot 60bhp and 75bhp are the saem apart from one is dpi (2 injectors) and the other is mpi (4), all the loom is tha same, same ecu etc u jsut use 4 injectors half the size and there wired in series, and thats exactly how fiat did it from the factory.

wizardofoz wrote:
best thing u could do with the old cordia fuel system is chuck it in the bin anyways,why bother to stuff around with it

only reason is because im a little bit skint at hte min, thanks to vat going up to 20% and petrol is now £1.40 a litre and diesel £1.44 a litre money is jsut tight, plan is to go to megasquirt stand alone eventually, but just wanted a temporary fix for now.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2011, 14:42 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

Your car: 1984 AA customer paint and some small custome body mods
This sounds interesting mate I am sure if u can get it to work there would be a few people wanting to give it a try.
When u do the MPI convert can u take pics and detail what u do as I would say it would make a good FAQ
Cheers

All my Cordia Parts For Sale make an Offer
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15917

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2011, 15:14 
1800 CORDIA
1800 CORDIA

I think that if you try hard enough then this would be possible, but I don't think it is worthwhile. A few years ago someone from the US was selling an ebook on how to do something similar to this with a Starion which uses the same fuel injection as a Cordia. My recommendation is to buy the multipoint manifold and aftermarket ecu when you can afford it. Until then, repair or upgrade other parts of the Cordia.