It is currently 05 May 2024, 00:02

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: AC Turbo front brakes
PostPosted: 12 Oct 2010, 20:36 

Gday all,

I am looking to use the front brakes from an AC turbo Cordia on the front of my 70's vintage Celica due to the fact that the system will fit under 14" rims and provide a billion times better stopping power than the stock solid units.

I am trying to find out a few details/tricks with these brakes which Google just isn't giving me the answers to.

Firstly, what is the PCD of the disks (I know the wheels are 4 x 114.3 same as the Celica, however as the disk bolts to the back of the hub they can run a different PCD)

Secondly, what are the stock calipers like? Can I get a reasonable range of performance pads for them?

Finally, is there a known 2 piston non-opposing caliper either from another vehicle or aftermarket which is readily available (and pads are readily available too) which is known to work well with the stock disks for the AC Turbo Cordia?

I have been trying to find a good brake upgrade for the old girl for some years which doesn't have wheel fitment issues for some time, and the disk specs in the DBA catalogue for the AC Turbo are spot on for what I want. So help with these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Cheers, Owen

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2010, 20:45 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

Your car: DOHC 2.3 VR4 85 AB GSR
Immaculate Stock 86 AC GSR
Owen,
You will be better off running TM - TP magna discs with twin pot VR4 calipers..........that's the best brake upgrade for the stock cordia............unless you need to go 3000GT four pot calipers.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2010, 21:08 

I take it you mean the HH5 VR4 from late 90 - 93?? Are those calipers a twin piston in the same vain as the VT commo, whereby the pistons are side by side on the same pad rather than one per pad??

Is there a reason you go with the Magna disks?? Only difference I can find is the back spacing from the hub (and probably price). I would need to check this backspacing against my struts to see if there would be a clearance issue.

Cheers, Owen

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2010, 21:34 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

Your car: DOHC 2.3 VR4 85 AB GSR
Immaculate Stock 86 AC GSR
Sorry man I had a moment...............run both the Galant HH - HG VR4 discs and calipers.............magna is 266mm, VR4 is 276mm disc diameter............the calipers are twin piston on the back, not opposed...........so twin per pad, floating on the front.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2010, 22:08 

And these fit under 14" rims?? This is looking promising...

Any idea what the spacing between the mounting bolt holes of the caliper are? Looks like Evo 1-3 might be similar too... any idea what those calipers are like??

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2010, 22:13 

Your car: MY car? hmmm a black hunk of metal that moves once every year
twin pots need 15's the ac rim is 14 and hits the caliper

metalcoremarc wrote:
works both ways mr big moderator sir.

Epic i must say.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2010, 22:21 

Would those calipers work with the stock Cordia disks?? Really don't want to get another set of rims (have 16's with semi slicks for most work, then 14's for highway)

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2010, 21:31 
1800 CORDIA
1800 CORDIA

With twin pot calipers bolted to a Cordia or Magna steering knuckle, you need 276mm discs to suit, otherwise the pads run off the edge.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2010, 17:01 

I have pretty well decided I need to bite the bullet and purchase some 15's for the highway runners. Rota RB's seem suitable. The calipers will be bolted to a custom made bracket, so I will position them optimally to suit the pad on disk, and will run the proper 276mm disks.

Thanks for the help all those who gave input.

Cheers, Owen

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2010, 19:56 

Your car: MY car? hmmm a black hunk of metal that moves once every year
Why custom bracket?

metalcoremarc wrote:
works both ways mr big moderator sir.

Epic i must say.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2010, 21:28 
1800 CORDIA
1800 CORDIA

Your car: UFO
Owen, firstly welcome.

I think you may be getting a little confused bud, you can run VR4 (276mm) disks with vr4 twin piston (full floating) callipers and VR4 lines on the front. However you will need VR4 hubs/knuckles aswell, this allows the parts to bolt-on with no custom modifications needed for the upgrade.

Other benefits are that there is a massive variety of performance pads for the VR4 callipers. Some of which include EBC greens (or reds), Bendix ultimates and Lucas, just to name a few.

All in all this modification is very well worth its money and the upgrade to 15” rims, as the increase in stoping power is incredible.