It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:38

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2006, 18:46 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

Just a trend I've been noticing recently with people who are having problems with cordia's.

I've noticed alot of people just randomly replacing parts and hoping for the best. This is a very expensive way of diagnosing your problems, there is usually a logical way to narrow down problems on EFI cordia's and alot of people are just taking a guess, replacing something and hoping that it works.

So, here are a few tips:

1. Check ECU error codes

There is some information on how to do this floating around somewhere. If it reports a sensor problem check the plug and wiring for that sensor and test the sensor if possible... Then find a replacement! If there is no error code assume the sensor is ok (until you've exhausted all other possibilities)

Here is a thread from the FAQ section on how to check for error codes:
http://www.cordiapower.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1749

2. Check engine compression

Problems with smoke, rough running etc. can be caused by cracked pistons, cracked head, blown head gasket etc.etc. A compression test is usually the first thing you do (aside from easy-to-do checks), it's a good thing to be able to rule out, since if you have a compression related problem no amount of replacing stuff and servicing will help you there.

A compression tester will cost around $30 or so, I recommend one with the flexible rubber hose on it with a screw fitting, not the ones that just slot into the spark plug holes because they won't work on all engines. They're a good thing to have handy, and if i'm looking at a car to buy, I usually take it with me + some basic tools to do a comp test, if the car's motor is farked, I won't buy it.

Here is a basic guide on doing a compression test I have written:
http://www.cordiapower.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11649

3. Tackle problems one at a time

If an ECU is reporting a problem with the AFM, don't replace anything else until you've fixed this problem!

4. No Spark

Very easy to diagnose, if you're not getting spark check if the tacho is bouncing when you crank it. If it bounces, then look at the dizzy, leads, ignition coil, ign coil wiring. If it doesn't bounce 9 times out of 10 it will be the E101 they have a habit of dying - alot of people carry a spare in the glovebox!!!!, otherwise it can also be the distributor signal wire (or dizzy itself), or a snapped timing belt

5. No fuel

To check remove the fuel return line (the one on the passenger side) and see if you get fuel pissing out when you crank motor (careful!). If there is no fuel, usually a dead fuel pump, kink in fuel lines, blocked fuel filter or wiring to fuel pump

6. Running rough

Check ecu error codes
Set the TPS (http://www.cordiapower.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2187)
Check vacuum advance
Check vacuum lines are routed correctly
Check spark plugs and leads if down a cylinder
Check /replace dizzy cap / rotor button
Check ignition timing with a timing light
Check intercooler piping for leaks
etc.

I hope this helps, I might write up a more detailed diagnosing guide, but the above is usually what I do when I'm having engine problems! It's by no means definitive but it's a good starting point.

The cordia 'mega thread' also has some good info you may find useful.
http://www.cordiapower.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7343

Last edited by MerlinTheHapyPig on 07 Jan 2007, 15:21, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Dec 2006, 13:30 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

I'm getting the AFM error show up on my car, but I've recently replaced the AFM with a good known working one, I'm a little unsure of what to check for next!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Dec 2006, 13:53 

Nicely written Merlin, I'll sticky this.

Steve, these are the conditions that trigger the AFM error signal:
"Sensor output is 10Hz or less while idling at 500rpm plus, or It is more than 100Hz when engine stalls."

Not too helpful I know, but if you have acess to a scope you could check the signal to see if you can simulate the error condition. If the car is running perfectly then I wouldn't worry about it. Another check you could try is to run your old AFM in a Cordia that dosen't have the AFM error and see if that causes the error to come up or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Dec 2006, 14:20 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

some ecu's won't clear an error code until you reset (disconnect negative battery terminal and leave overnight disconnected).

If you still get the error code.
1. make sure you're reading the error codes correctly
2. have a look at the wiring and plug
3. unplug the afm and see if the car runs the same without it
4. unplug the ecu plug & afm plug, find the pin for afm and use a continuity tester (multimeter) to test that the wire isn't broken somewhere.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2009, 20:03 

hey can any one help i got a 1985 model cordia turbo wit center point injection
i have replaced da hole fuel system an elec gear an now it wont run plenty of fuel an spark

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2009, 23:12 

Your car: MY car? hmmm a black hunk of metal that moves once every year
make a thread and try to type a bit clearer.

metalcoremarc wrote:
works both ways mr big moderator sir.

Epic i must say.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2009, 05:31 

timing? gotta take dizzy out to change inlet mani if you did that you possible slipped it in out of time

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2009, 14:51 

hey
i have checked dizzy timing its slightly advanced an its got plenty of spark, its got plenty of fuel to da fact that my plugs 2&3 r slightly wet an my primery ijector is leaking, i even took all spark pugs out winde the engine over a couple times (with injecters unpluged) then put the plugs back in an stil nothin but i think one cylinder is firering i carnt tel for sure yet, um i havent checked the computer yet ,um an its a slow to winde ouver (even with a jumper pack) is that the starter motor nearly dead or bad earth somwhere?? any more info is greatly apprceated cause i running ouy of ideas an patence lol but thanks heaps so far....

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2009, 00:11 

Prolly low amp battery
wont be the computer
could be afm
im guessing its simple

were u from ?

metalcoremarc wrote:

Epic i must say.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2009, 19:33 

Um wat u mean wat where i located? I live in mackay, qld an i a first year appentace mechenical fitter um i got da car runnin brifly wen i put a new battery in it then the car died again an i got a flat battery again would that be the alternater being buggerd?

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2009, 00:28 

Make a new thread and we can start trouble shoot u there!

battery going flat again is prolly coz your cranking it over and over and over then it starts for 10 seconds and dies then u crank and crank and flat... was the battery brand new? or just a better one?

Have u replaced the CTS (coolant temperature sensor)? that could be a start plugs leads timing even! have u checked it with a timing light to see when its sparking ??
you said its slightly advanced? have u tried moving the dizzy around while your cranking the engine? it might be too far advanced... retard it a bit

if the plugs are fouling up its USUALLY.. not always ofc.... cts or timing but there are a whole host of other things to try.

first check your timing again check your firing order..... 1342 1 being passenger side of the engine and working to wards the gearbox and on the dizzy 1 is at the bottom then go clockwise check that! then play with the timing a touch move the dizzy back maybe like a few degs

and if that fails id try a 2nd hand CTS or even a brand new one usually 22 dollars and take your old one in when u buy it as the places down in Melbourne don't have a listing just go through the CTS booklet at most part retailers could be easier in qld idk

Could be low compression but that usually makes the engine turn over faster as the starter barely has to work.

metalcoremarc wrote:

Epic i must say.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2009, 22:29 

Ok wel i got it towed 2 mechenical joint an told me at da end of da day that it was runnin unblivebly rich an my wast gate solidnoid was jamed closed an i had water in my fuel system again... Mmm not good ether way but yer its gettin a tune up on it an it should run perfect again lyk wen i bought it... Um an how can i ad a couple pounds of boost in it with out buyin a boost controler so it stil looks stocko

PostPosted: 21 May 2010, 12:08 
1800 CORDIA
1800 CORDIA

if your in SE vic also this guy can check the error codes with his scan tool,

I get him to do all mine, its great, easy to find and he can also tune the tps in etc with ease

J.G. Ozz
Mechanical Services
PH: 0402 212 133

his name is George

he is working on my Jag right now , and the cordia is going there before the dyno to check timing, error codes etc

AC Wanted $$$(must have 4g62t, or I can swap it back)

last cordia:
Blue 88 GSR turbo AC with 62t, TD05 14B and FMIC
(I WOULD LIKE IT BACK IF POSSIBLE, OLD REG SYH354)