It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 21:26

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Another Newbee
PostPosted: 17 May 2012, 00:49 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

Is the car already registered in nsw or do you need a blue slip? If it's already registered you don't need to tell the RTA anything.

Just make sure the engine number on the rego papers is 4G63. They don't ask you down at the RTA if it's SOHC or DOHC and you wouldn't volunteer the information....right?

The only problem you'll have, and this goes for me as well, is if you run into a cop that wants to see under the bonnet and by some miracle knows that...ahem...that engine doesn't go there. But you've probably got a better chance of winning the lotto. As long as it's registered, tyres are good and no stupid shit on the outside of the car you should be ok. I've been pulled over a few times since i bought my VR4, only for RBT's, and all i get is, "is that a COOORdia. shit, haven't seen one of them in ages".

PostPosted: 17 May 2012, 10:11 
Superuser
Superuser

It's registered but not with the right engine number, it says 4G62DW2494S. Thats my problem. So just want to tell the engine number. Like you said I'll just take the chance and hope the police don't know the correct engines but would really like the engine number to match. At least then I can play dumb.
I also don't have any receipts for the engine swap so can I just walk into the rta and give them the engine number or does someone need to prove it?

Thanks for all your help guys.

PostPosted: 17 May 2012, 20:30 
Superuser
Superuser

Your car: AC CORDIA TURBO
I think some local mechanics have the paper work for engines swapped for the RTA i remember this from a long while back but might have changed these days. Ring the RTA and ask them what needs to be done and that you replaced the engine...

PostPosted: 17 May 2012, 21:20 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

Sounds like you need a blue slip which is required i think when you change the engine. You'd be better off with your papers saying 4G63.

I'm pretty sure the RTA will tell you that with a different engine you will need an engineering certificate. I've been told this can be $500-$1000.

The way around it would be to find a friendly mechanic willing to overlook certain things, unregister the car and hand in the plates, then reregister it with a blue slip that has 4G63 on it. This is all pretty much dependent on the guy doing your blueslip. They will usually ask for an engineers certificate.

PostPosted: 18 May 2012, 12:56 
Superuser
Superuser

Yeah i would feel a lot safer having the correct number on the rego papers. Will look into this. Anyone have a friendly mechanic that might be able to help? Ill take it to mine but not sure how much he will let slide. Especially as its blowing smoke, would prefer to spend the money on fixing it then paying for blue slips haha.

However once she is up and running nicely we will have to meet up and go for a drive somewhere. I wanna see what stuff i can do to mine.

Little update though, i spent most of yesterday clearing the boot and starting to install my system. Makes life a lot easier when the battery is in the boot haha

PostPosted: 19 May 2012, 13:38 
1800 CORDIA
1800 CORDIA

Your car: UFO
Cool stuff!

are you located in Melb?

PostPosted: 20 May 2012, 10:29 
Superuser
Superuser

No Sydney. But your ride looks nice mate. Lots of love and effort gone into it. They do seem infectious. Boot install coming on nicely. All amps mounts to seats and custom shelf cut to accommodate 6x9's and sub (cordias don't have the biggest boots do they?)

PostPosted: 20 May 2012, 12:39 
Superuser
Superuser

Tell me about it I'm just about to re wire my whole set up, and I have a 12 inch for the boot but I'm trying to find a box that is thin enough so that I can keep my original parcel tray. Unless you move the spare tyre but there is no chance I'm doing that... I'm just buying a box already done and customize it to suit my boot space...

PostPosted: 20 May 2012, 18:11 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

Your car: DOHC 2.3 VR4 85 AB GSR
Immaculate Stock 86 AC GSR
Just do what I did........who sits in the back?......nobody.......that's why I replaced the back seat with a sub enclosure........that way I keep the boot space. ;)

PostPosted: 20 May 2012, 19:50 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

I still use my back seat sometimes.... I've got dual 12"s but I had to completely redo the boot to fit them. They come out in about 5 mins if I need the space though.

PostPosted: 20 May 2012, 22:00 
Superuser
Superuser

When I bought the car it already had a different shelf so had no issues making a new one. Nearly finished then I'll post some pics. Some nice fusion 6x9's and a 12" audiobahn sub which I've had for years but is the best I've ever owned.

If your cutting the box and it's a sealed box just make sure the sub still gets enough air. Can totally change the quality.

PostPosted: 21 May 2012, 11:38 
Superuser
Superuser

A sealed box is always smaller than a ported box.

PostPosted: 21 May 2012, 15:33 
Superuser
Superuser

Yeah mines a ported box, guess thats why its so hard it fit in the boot haha. Worth it all though

PostPosted: 21 May 2012, 17:59 
Superuser
Superuser

Also been looking at your car 2dmentd - I want your dials!!!

PostPosted: 21 May 2012, 23:26 
Superuser
Superuser

They had them on eBay a while ago now and I missed out on them, lucky one of the members on here had a set for me.

PostPosted: 22 May 2012, 08:16 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

Easy solution...competition spec mid range speakers with a beast of an amp then you don't need a sub?

PostPosted: 22 May 2012, 15:29 
Superuser
Superuser

yeah that would be easier, but when has easy been fun haha! Its always a challange to fit subs in boots. Looks good, ill put picks up and show you soon. Its not amazing but better than it was when i got it. Now for front and read speakers. Do you know anyone that changed the standard speakers or just put new ones in the doors?

PostPosted: 22 May 2012, 21:30 
Superuser
Superuser

Get some pods for the front doors, you can buy them pre made from supercheap for 6 inch splits speakers, and a set of 6 inch or 6x9's im the back... At least a single 12 inch sub is good in the boot, two is even better...

PostPosted: 28 May 2012, 16:12 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

Welcome to the forums bro,I had two 12" subs in my old cordia with a parcel tray so it is possible. Find out of the RTA if you just need a blue slip first. All the best with the mods :)

PostPosted: 28 May 2012, 16:27 
Superuser
Superuser

Cheers Taba, Loving the car so far, I think its going to cost me a fortune but I guess thats life haha. Wanna do the inside (as i can do that myself) but engines im not so good at. When i get a little money gonna take her to the garage and see why she blows so much. But until them, im just gonna enjoy :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next