It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 02:40

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Keepin' the #$@%s out
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2004, 13:27 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

Hi yall,

From what i've heard cordia's are rather easy to break into (especially the coathanger wire trick?) and hotwire yes?

So if u've got an immobiliser installed that pretty much takes care of the hotwiring thing... but what about just plain keeping ppl from opening ur doors and having a look-see round the inside of the car to see what they can snatch?

Theres the taking the door locks out and just having remote entry, that'd be cool - cept if something goes wrong there... what about other ways tho? Any ways to make the doors less pickable?

Thanx
-Loss

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2004, 14:16 
Resident Cyclist

Your car: 3 Litre Magna
I've got central installed and it makes the lokc action really tight, probably way too tight to pry with a coathanger. so that might help. taking my microtech with me is an effective immobiliser too, and removes probably the most valuable and stealable thing in the car. (not that anyone would proabably fine the thing.) Is there a solex lock conversion kit available for the cordia?, that would be awesome, with proper deadlocking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2004, 14:39 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

Oh yeh, that would be awesome... anyone know?

Post subject: Locks
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2004, 15:25 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

From what i have heard there arent any solex locks for cordias which sucks :x

You could always shave them off, install central locking and then if anything happens to your central locking climb in through the boot

That would always work

Or you could always just disconnect you locks after you have put in central locking thats what i did to my old corona and when they try to break in it doesn't work of course

Steve

a gf but doesnt talk back when you give it shit

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2004, 16:29 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

I'm sure I saw Solex locks on Steve's red Cordia.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2004, 08:37 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

90% sure they're multi fit anyway

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2004, 12:09 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

when i had my gemini, i installed Solex locks in my doors and boot ($200 for a pair) cheaper ones are available, but stay away from them.
the original locks came out easy enough but after i put the Solex in i went and took it to Autobarn to get them to check i did it properly and after that he informed me that when installing Solex locks on some cars it makes some cars even easier to break in. due to the seal between the door and lock. because most of the Solex range are "universal fit" the seals are not made especially to have a precise fit to the door. which with a little jimmying or a hardish knock the seal can be broken and make room for a flate head screwy.
havent tried or asked bout Cordias, may work. just thought my experience might help or advise some people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2004, 12:19 

if you pulll the trim at the top of the door offf you can use that to break into a cordia it doesn't matter what locks it has, even central locking

CORDIA BUILD BELOW
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuE4NT ... 954epi0wBw

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2004, 14:00 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

well no matter what lenghts u go too to keep pricks outta ya car, if they want it bad enough they will get it. thats a good metaphor for life too.
"IF YOU WANT SOMETHING BAD ENOUGH YOU CAN GET IT"
Jon Langhan

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2004, 15:08 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

surely there must be some sort of lock mechanism that cant just be wrenched open by something tho?

I mean... obviously if u take a crowbar or hammer to the door/window nothing is gonna stop it... but i more mean stopping less damaging techniques of breaking in.

-Loss

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2004, 15:12 

You can stop them unlocking it, but whats stopping the old brick through the window?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2004, 15:34 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

you can put that plastic film on each window, it will stop a brick. I have seen it used on house doors

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2004, 18:31 
Resident Cyclist

Your car: 3 Litre Magna
then they'll just keep throwing the brick at it till it breaks. remember high ovtane 3?, "this window was hit with a baseball bat 6 times and still holds together" why would they stip hitting it at 6 if 10 will surely break it in. beast bet is cheap stereo and a damn good immobiliser.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2004, 19:08 
Resident Antichrist
Resident Antichrist

Astaroth's anti theft device.

Required materials:

1x ignition coil
2x 140db + screamer horns
1x relay
Speaker wire

Method:

Part 1: Wire alarm output to relay so that relay switches when alarm is triggered. Fit screamers under front dash, wire up so they are switched by relay.

Note: Stop here if you don't have public liability insurance :)

Part 2: Mount ignition coil under front driver's seat and wire it so it is also switched by relay. Connect ignition coil outlets to centre seat spring.

VOILA!

Just make sure you don't trip the alarm by accident ;)

Astaroth.

Bones heal, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2004, 20:20 
Superuser
Superuser

Your car: Honda CBR 250RR 1992
the cordia is so easy to break in to its criminal! i thought about welding or atatching a small metal plate above the locking mechanism on the inside of the door to stop acces to it, that way if they remove that trim they cant get to the whole mechanism ne way. myself im having no door locks, cheetah system 7 with 3 way immobiliser, club lock, detach face cd head unit and never leaving the car unatended..... thats what my bluebird wagon is for:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2004, 20:58 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

like i always say though a car is meant for fun not lockin away in a shed :!: :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Feb 2004, 11:32 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

lol Astaroth thats awesome. :twisted:

semireal wrote:
i thought about welding or atatching a small metal plate above the locking mechanism on the inside of the door to stop acces to it

Would this work? U say u thought about it... y not do it?

lol just had a crazy idea - What about putting the locks in back to front.. i.e. instead of housing the locking mechanism in the door, house it in the rear panel behind (behind as in front to back of car not as in outside to inside) the door.
Then if someone came to try and break in, not only would they find it harder to get to in there (i think) but they also wouldn't expect it to be there, they'd expect it to be in the door.
U'd need central locking to make it work... u wouldn't want a key hole back there and it would be hell reaching for the inside locking switchy thing from inside the car.

-Loss

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Feb 2004, 08:43 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

That's all good now, but why take all that time when they could just break the window and get in.
Hell, all they need to get past the locks is just pop it off the door, sheet metal bend pretty easy if u put pressure on it at the right angle. Then grab the metal door rod with pliers or their fingers and viola, door opens.

If you wanna protect your cord from bein stolen, get an imboliser. Stops ignition so u cant even hotwire the car.
Bolt stuff down in the car such as audio eqp to the floor with either square head or torx (star shaped). Weld brackets to floor if you must.
To deter thiefs once they broke in, just get some loud piezo buzzers like Asaroth said and stick em in a few places. It will be so loud and piercing their head will hurt.

If ppl are so worried but stuff inside bein taken, then really think if you actually 'need' that extra spendy stuff in your car for daily drivin

My thoughts ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Feb 2004, 13:58 
Superuser
Superuser

Yeah, I have had solex locks on all my cordia's. Easy as to fit. Although, I dont rate them very well.

They are a mongrel to use everyday. Would be fine if I had remote central. U c wat happens is you get a 2 different keys.
One of the keys is for re-centering the lock.

Y would u need to do that u ask?? Well...The one that u are sposed to use all the time has a little bump on it so u can only put the key in one way. Sometimes when u pull the key back out it moves the center of the lock. So next time u go to unlock ur door...The key doesnt fit.

It makes absolute no-sense to me why they just wouldnt give u all the keys the same as the non-bump one. Cause thats the one I use all the time.

Its quite embarrassing climbing through the boot just because u want to use the proper key everytime.

I saw on a VL Commy once a sheet metal plate on the outside of the window. This covered up the entire locking mechanism so that it was impossible to use the old ruler or coathanger. Possibly you could try that.

I tell you from experience though... If you make it hard for them 2 get in...U wake up in the morning with more than just a stolen stereo.

I have had my car broken into 3 times in my driveway! Everytime they couldnt unlock the door so they just smash a window. heck even the alarm wouldnt go off unless u have a microwave sensor.
Think about it, smash a window...No power loss.. so the voltage drop wont trigger... I havent seen a car's alarm go off from the shock of a broken window either. Most alarms i have seen i can kick the car and they dont go off. Even on the most sensitive setting they have.

I asked the guy at JB Hi-Fi here in canberra why the alarm on my mates merc doesnt go off when we kick the car.

His reply was..."Alarms dont work like that, you need to kick the tyre to set the alarm off"

I said to him....Why would i give a care if someone kicked the tyre...I want the alarm to go off when the car is bumped, kicked, smashed window. He just mumbled and walked off.

Waste of damn cash that was!!

Post subject: Knock Sensors
PostPosted: 10 Feb 2004, 14:21 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

If you adjust the sensor so it is sensative and fix it to a point on the car where you feel the shock ie. steering colum it should set off the alarm

When i had mine fitted like that it use to go off even when you hit the bloody bumper let alone the window. Knock the window slightly and it would go off

Steve

a gf but doesnt talk back when you give it shit