It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:21

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: New AB GSR Project
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2014, 18:39 

0-PSI, how did you end up going with the steering rack bushes you mentioned? The pair in my car were shot and I needed replacements but as you found out they are nigh on impossible to get. I ended up having to resort to second hand items from a wreckers in Adelaide. Would have preferred to get new one's though.

Cheers.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2014, 19:57 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

Your car: DOHC 2.3 VR4 85 AB GSR
Immaculate Stock 86 AC GSR
I had a look at other manufacturers......honda looked very similar...........depends if you have manual or power steering, the bushes are different.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2014, 22:44 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

Your car: 1985 AB GSL-R
1988 Starion GSR-VR
Jasb wrote:
0-PSI, how did you end up going with the steering rack bushes you mentioned? The pair in my car were shot and I needed replacements but as you found out they are nigh on impossible to get. I ended up having to resort to second hand items from a wreckers in Adelaide. Would have preferred to get new one's though.

Cheers.

Jasb, after removing my rack I found the bushes to still be in good acceptable condition & so I left them. However after checking up on the part no. of the larger bush it can still be had & sourced from Japan through Amayama.com for $6.46 + postage. I have been using this mob for a few years now for my other cars for all new OEM parts. Absolutely terrific service.

Bitza wrote:
I had a look at other manufacturers......honda looked very similar...........depends if you have manual or power steering, the bushes are different.

Good to know that Andrew.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2015, 18:26 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

1988 Starion GSR-VR
It's been a while, more updates are coming soon.

For now here is a brief one to kick start the thread into the new year.

Over the last few days I've accumulated some more new parts which has cut the relatively short list in half, it's likely I'll have the rest of what is needed in the next few weeks which hopefully in that time the bottom end will have been taken care of.

- Gates water pump (GWP1027)
- Gates timing & balance shaft belts (T158/T159)
- Exedy clutch kit (MBK-6276) now changed for a HD
- Kelpro rear engine mount (MT8719)
- Reconditioned drive shafts

Last edited by 0-PSI on 18 Feb 2015, 15:50, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2015, 18:48 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

Nice............love the rear engine mount.........bet that was expensive!!

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2015, 18:56 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

1988 Starion GSR-VR
The rear mount cost $134, OK price you could say. Apparently they don't sell the bushing individually! So bit the bullet on the bastard.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2015, 17:41 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

1988 Starion GSR-VR
Today I thought I would assess the rear end rust & damage, which is basically the only downfall about this car considering the front is relatively rust-free. I was aware the car had been reversed into or vise versa but to what extent I had no idea.

I spent a short while with the wire wheel cutting through body filler on either side & here is what I have come across so far, a fair amount of work needed, however it could be worse. So I either get familiar with cutting & welding or leave it to a professional in the rust department. On a positive note the GSL rear end is almost perfect if I recall so it would make a good donor for replacement metal if need be & to what lengths of perfect I want to go with this, it's just if I have it in me to ever cut it up.

Time will tell.

Last edited by 0-PSI on 19 Feb 2015, 16:43, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2015, 17:54 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

How does the inside edge of the hatch rubber look?

I reckon the rear panel has been replaced.........I would knock out as much as you can to get the panel straight then re-bog it.

Please..............Don't cut up the GSL!!!

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2015, 14:05 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

Everything looks like a straightforward fix except for that right corner. How are your panelbeating skills?

Don't use that pink bog to fill large gaps, it's only for small imperfections. Use this stuff it's much stronger.

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2015, 15:18 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

1988 Starion GSR-VR
Plans now have changed dramatically, due to a passing in the family I will now be converting the running gear from this to my GSL & stripping the GSR for my own spares. With too many cars already & not enough space, this has finally pushed me to do something about it so unfortunately 1 has to go. The GSL takes preference as it holds memories & family history whereas the GSR means very little so to speak.

So if anyone is looking for a rolling shell + GSL motor in the next 6 months or possibly less, don't hesitate to get in contact with me. More than happy to make arrangements for it to live on.

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2015, 18:12 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

Great choice there Mike.........sorry to hear about your family, glad to see your back on the forum........and make sure you post plenty of pics!!!

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2015, 21:06 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

1988 Starion GSR-VR
Thanks for the kind words Andrew.

Since my last post I've stripped the GSR completely & finally had it collected for scrap. A lot of good body panels & interior parts were salvaged which will make great replacements & spares in the long run.

The bottom end taken from the GSR is still with the re-builders & has been there since early this year, there's no rush to get that back yet & I also told them this. So the plan is to re-register the GSL on club registration & continue driving with the '37 in it, at least until it lets me down - if ever. This will give me more time to accumulate any more parts that I may need (there isn't much now) & to enjoy the luxury of having a car with boot space & fold-down seats again, to cart parts around!

To bring the old girl to a roadworthy state again I'm going to have to repair a minor hole in the floor caused by the previous system being torn from it's mounting, which was the whole reason I took it off the road to begin with. Then have the standard GSR exhaust fitted once the floor is repaired. Then yet again replace the valve cover gasket & front main seal this time with genuine OEM parts which I have just ordered from JP, hopefully not to leak again. A new windscreen will be needed as well thanks to a flying rock from a truck.

Aside from that I have transferred all of the refurbished GSR suspension (including all new bushings) over as well as the TN Magna brake upgrade with all new rotors & pads. The AC wheels all have good tread as well which was a bonus to their purchase. So all in all a small amount of work needed but nothing strenuous, time is the only enemy.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2015, 22:19 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

Nice to hear Mike, your shed must look like mine!

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2016, 00:11 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

1988 Starion GSR-VR
Stacked to the roof now Andrew, it's a joke!

And a happy 2016 to anyone reading.

I hadn't touched the car since October after fitting the full GSR suspension, so we spent an hour or so the other day re-aligning the front end back to an acceptable state & rolling straight again. It now also has brakes after today as well. I still needed to connect the front brake lines after swapping over the Magna brake upgrade. That's where I basically stopped last year in that department, so now the front is bled & taken care of. I will be fitting the new rear drums, bearings & shoes on tomorrow to completely tick the brake system off the list.

And as of today it now has a nice new windscreen. It will need to be removed again in the not so distant future to eliminate the minor rust along the top of the channel, but it at least gave me an idea of it's extent. To go with this all I managed to pick up a very dusty packet of 25 windscreen clips for the side trims, dug up from the bottom of a box in the back of a warehouse. So now I'll never go short again.

In that small period the car is not far off from being roadworthy & hopefully a step closer to club rego too. I still need to have the small hole in the floor welded up & rust cured from the incident of old exhaust, while at the same time utilize the factory GSR exhaust system which I have & get it mated up to the headers, killing two birds with one stone.

I am at the moment also trying to arrange another turbo engine & gearbox + spares from a local. So hope to further update with news shortly.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2016, 16:01 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

1988 Starion GSR-VR
It's been a big few days spent stripping the interior & swapping body looms over but is now complete. Everything is where it should be as well as the ECU & air con evaporator in place (originally optioned without) the only thing left is the addition of the power window wiring, which I have taken from the GSL loom & will need to test & clean up prior to fitting the rest of the interior back in.

And just in the last 24 hours I have managed to collect a pair of good uncut condition AC door trims & another 4G62 & box that we picked up this afternoon from another forum member. I now plan on using this engine & my already cleaned gearbox. I have new seals ready to go in the engine & a new clutch that have been sitting around for some time. I will get the flywheel machined & balanced this week so everything can go together shortly.

At this point, I will retain the cable clutch set-up if no issues are run into. After some reading throughout the forum I found that people have done this before.

Tomorrow I will be swapping fuel tanks over & providing how much engine bay space I have, the fuel lines as well. So the conversion will look to be completed by next weekend, running or not as I still have the problem of another corroded water pipe at the ends, so a custom replacement or a repair job will need to be arranged. Looking good aside from that!

ECU mounted in factory position, the only issue I had was trying to find a mounting point for the "ECI relay" which I have tucked up in the upper corner.

Evaporator in place with blower still to go in, it will be good to finally have air con. Another mounting problem which I had was the lower bracket that sits under the box & which I assume mounts to the firewall. For some reason wouldn't mount up properly.

Uncut AC door trims which I wasted no time in fitting the door lights to.

Loom in place ready for the dash to go back in. The hardest part of the swap over was pushing the damn firewall grommets back in! You can also see the power window wiring coming from the plug which I need to tape up & tape to the main loom.

Newly acquired engine & more spares.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2016, 16:17 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

Nice, nice, nice..........so good Mike!

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2016, 13:30 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

1988 Starion GSR-VR
Among many updates to come here is one I wanted to post up separately. I had the fabricator shoot me this photo today of a particular one-off:

More to update on soon.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2016, 16:39 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

Nice.............made for scratch?

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2016, 17:31 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

1988 Starion GSR-VR
Completely from scratch Andrew, which has cost some coin as expected but trying to find a second hand replacement that was still usable has proven to be a losing battle over the years, even something from a Hyundai as you once suggested I unfortunately had no luck sourcing.

So now I'm able to finish piecing the remainder of the engine together with this no longer being a hurdle. I'll be picking it up on Monday & test fitting ASAP.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2016, 17:52 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

Nice.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next